3030 Salt Creek Lane, Suite 120,
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Call Us Today for a FREE Initial Consultation


When Your Ex's New Partner Is a Danger to Your Kids

 Posted on June 07, 2024 in Child Custody

IL family lawyerIt is normal to feel apprehensive or distrustful when your co-parent starts dating someone new and bringing him or her around your children. Most parents want to get to know any adult who is spending a significant amount of time around their children. Not all adults are safe for children to be around. If you find out that the person your ex is dating poses a threat to your children, there are steps you can take to protect them. As soon as you have reason to believe that your ex’s new dating partner is not safe for your kids to spend time with, you need to talk to a Rolling Meadows, IL child custody attorney to find out what you can do to keep your children safe from him or her.

Steps You Can Take to Protect Your Children From Your Ex’s New Partner 

Why you feel that your children are not safe around your ex’s new boyfriend or girlfriend matters. The more objective the reason and the more evidence you have, the more likely it is that the court will act quickly to ensure that your children are not exposed to the dangerous adult.

If all you have now is a “bad feeling” about him or her, your lawyer may recommend meticulously documenting any proof you can find suggesting that your children are not safe with your ex’s new partner for a brief period of time before taking legal action. On the other hand, if there is concrete evidence showing that your co-parent’s new partner should not be around children, such as a sex crime conviction involving minors, your lawyer will want to act immediately and decisively.

Your options may include: 

  • Modify your child custody order - If your ex is harming your children by allowing his or her new partner around them, you may be able to have your child custody order modified so that your ex only has supervised visitation. 
  • Get an Order of Protection - If the new partner has actually been violent or abusive to your children, you can likely get a restraining order on their behalf. 
  • Go to the police - If you suspect that your children have been abused, reporting your concerns to the police may help, even if they are not able to make an arrest yet. 
  • Notify your ex - In some cases, notifying your ex in writing of your concerns and what legal action you plan to take if he or she does not address them to your satisfaction is enough to convince your ex to end the relationship. 

Contact a Cook County, IL Child Custody Attorney

Law Offices of Donald J. Cosley is committed to helping parents take any legal measures needed to keep their children safe. Experienced Rolling Meadows, IL child custody lawyer Don Cosely personally handles all aspects of his cases. Contact us at 847-253-3100 for a complimentary consultation.

Share this post:
Back to Top