3030 Salt Creek Lane, Suite 120,
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Call Us Today for a FREE Initial Consultation


Rolling Meadows Fathers’ Rights Attorney for Child Relocation

Barrington Child Custody Lawyer Addressing Parental Relocation for Fathers

Fathers have historically found it difficult to gain suitable custody rights following a divorce or the end of a non-marital relationship. Today, Illinois law is clear that parenting decisions are supposed to be gender neutral, but some judges still have their predilections. One particularly urgent situation many fathers face arises when the mother, who has primary residiential responsibilities, decides that she wants to take the child and move away. What options does a father have to fight such a move?

It is critical that you find a law firm that is dedicated to fighting for the rights of fathers and leveling the playing field. That is what we do here at the Rolling Meadows Law Offices of Donald J. Cosley. We represent fathers in custody mediation sessions and child custody hearings in Cook County, DuPage County, Lake County and the surrounding areas. Our fathers' rights relocation attorneys believe strongly that fathers play a crucial role in the upbringing of children, and we will fight to make sure you get to be a part of your child's life.

Can My Child's Mother Move Away With My Child?

One thing to remember is that, in the vast majority of cases, both parents have the right to be part of a child's life. That means any relocation that would prevent a parent from having regular contact with the child is viewed skeptically by the courts. Illinois law requires that the mother obtain your written consent before she can take the child and relocate. If you do not consent, then she must apply to the court seeking approval for the move.

She will need to convince the court that the move is truly in the best interests of the child and that the child will be advantaged by the move. It is not enough for the mother to say, for example, that she needs to move because of a new job opportunity. Remember, these relocation cases are about what is best for the child, not what is best for either parent.

Whether the mother of your child is seeking to move to a distant part of Illinois or to another state altogether, attorney Donald J. Cosley will work to ensure that your relationship with your child remains strong. Our firm has handled difficult and emotional family law issues for over 20 years. We understand what you are feeling, and we will do our best to secure the outcome you deserve.

Schaumburg Family Law Attorney to Contact When Your Ex Wants to Move Away With Your Child

We invite you to talk to an attorney at the Law Offices of Donald J. Cosley to find out more about fathers' rights and what to do in the situation you are facing. Please call 847-253-3100, or send us an email to schedule your free initial consultation. We serve clients in Barrington, Schaumburg, Palatine, Rolling Meadows, Arlington Heights and all surrounding communities.

Back to Top